Kelly drummed her claws pensively on the table at which she sat, staring at the slowly rising steam from a coffee mug she lightly gripped with her other hand.
       “Stop that wretched clicking.”  The fox was pulled from her reverie by Snively’s annoyed tone.  She glanced to him, watching him sip from a mug of his own, and her fingers stilled.  He locked his eyes on hers with his usual condescending look, and she merely blinked slowly in feigned haughtiness as if to mock him.  By now she was used to his surly manner.  Snively raised one eyebrow at the fox, then took another sip of coffee.
       “Why do you insist on joining me here, anyway?” Snively mumbled.  “Surely you can find something else to stare at besides me.”  His voice was one of aggravation, but Kelly had a feeling he secretly enjoyed the company.  She snorted.  “I’m not staring at you.”
       “Then what are you doing?  It’s been nearly a month, and you still hang round this blasted kitchen every day—when I’m here, no less.”
       Kelly shrugged, tempted though she was to mention the fact that it seemed he was the one joining her in his breaks.  “If you’re so annoyed, find another place to take your coffe break.”
       “I shouldn’t have to—owff!”  Snively had been on his way to set down his mug on the table, and bumped into the back of a chair.  He grimaced for several seconds, gripping his stomach.  The area had been sore for two days.  Kelly had learned by now not to inquire about his frequent injuries; he always grew irritated at the mention of it.  But she couldn’t help cringing as she watched him, before forcing her gaze back on her cup.  Snively gingerly placed his mug on the table, his other hand still on his gut.  He swore hoarsely and pulled up a chair to flop into it.
       “Have you gotten that checked out or anything?”  Kelly tried to sound nonchalant.  Apparently it didn't work.  Snively scoffed.  “It’s just a bit of bruising,” he mumbled, “why would I get it checked out?”  Kelly shrugged.  “Just trying to be polite.”
       “Well I don’t need your—”
       “Snively!”  Robotnik’s voice squawked over the communicator clipped to Snively’s belt.  “Report to the Command Room, now!”
       Snively snapped immediately to attention, hastily replying, “Yes sir!”
       “Yesterday, Snively!”
       “Yes sir!”  Already he was out the door, the sound of his hurried footsteps slowly beginning to fade down the hallway.  Kelly listened with perked ears, narrowing her eyes.  It was the second time this week some emergency had arisen.  She had noticed, too, that these events always seemed to coincide with Snively’s injuries.  Maybe he was involved in security, she thought.  But then there were both Snively’s size and frailty, and the ever-presence of robotic or mechanical security systems.  Snively couldn’t possibly go out and handle intruders in person—it would be insane.
       One of the vixen’s ears swiveled back, and her claws were again drumming softly on the table.  The overabundance of secrecy in this dreary place was getting to her.  It was about time, she thought, that the secrets be brought to light.  For weeks she had been banned from most of the city, told very little information about anything.  She had wandered in boredom around every inch of the areas she could enter.  By now, despite its considerable size overall, it felt like a cramped cage.  And with the recent onslaught of strange crises—she even recalled Snively mumbling something about “those god-damn Freedom Fighters,” who she could only guess were responsible—her curiosity was overwhelming.  A grim expression swept over her face.  She stood to her feet.
       Quickly Kelly scooted in the chairs and placed the two mugs in a nearby sink.  She waved her hand in a vertical motion and immediately vanished from sight, invisible.  She darted out the door, following the direction she had heard Snively take.  Command Room…Command Room, she thought as she ran down the stark hallway.  Then she stopped suddenly, realizing there was no way she could remember the way to that room.  She’d only seen it once for a short time, and that was about a month ago.  She bit her lip, trying to think of something…then snapped her fingers as she siezed an idea.  Of course!  She’d reached places before without knowing exactly where they were.  As long as she knew of the place and could concentrate deeply enough on it, she could transport herself there using her powers.
       Kelly closed her eyes tight, picturing what she could remember of the War Room.  The dim light; the narrow, suspended pathways; the large main area; the low hum of machinery.  Yes--that hum.  For some reason she remembered that most vividly.  She struggled to revive it in her mind as quickly as she could.  She hadn’t used this skill in a long time, and still was fairly new to it.  After all, she’d discovered it by mere accident--like most of her powers.  She forced herself to relax, her breathing to slow and deepen as she focused solely on that hum.  It seemed forever had passed.  It was almost soothing…hypnotic…that constant, monotone whir.
       “Why weren’t you at the monitors?!”
       Kelly nearly jumped out of her fur.  It was Robotnik’s booming voice.  He sounded like a bear on the attack.  And there, a good ten feet away from Kelly, was the fat despot, leaned forward in his enormous chair.  His eyes fell like red search lights on Snively.  Apparently Kelly’s efforts had paid off—she was here.
       Snively’s eyes were large and pitiful.  He nervously wrung his hands as he stood before Robotnik, his back to the main computer.  On the screens, several anthropomorphic creatures--Kelly had learned they were called Mobians--could be seen battling an onslaught of SWATbots.  There was a rabbit, more than half her body robotic; a uniformed coyote with sword in hand; and a slender, muscular chipmunk with deep auburn hair.  Kelly thought she saw flashes of royal blue here and there.  Perhaps the cameras were faulty.
       A bellow rose from Robotnik like the roar of a beast.  Snively had been cowering, stuttering excuses Kelly hadn’t heard as she was focused on the computer.  She certainly heard this, cringing and flattening her ringing ears.  Sound carried well in this room.  Too well.  Snively shrank backwards with a near-shriek of fear.
       “Yo, Robuttnik!”  A young voice rang out from the screens of the main computer.  A blue creature was grinning devilishly into the lens of a camera he’d snatched from mid-flight.  “The hedgehog,” Snively muttered, a mix of fear and anger in his tone.  So--it was a blue hedgehog?  Was he responsible for those strange flashes?  Surely not….
       “Get a loada’ this!” taunted the hedgehog, and then he spun the camera around.  In the foreground, the chipmunk dealt Karate-like blows to two SWATbots at once.  Though it was a little hard to tell, thanks to the poor recording skills of the hedgehog, it seemed she wasn't supposed to be the main focus.  But it was not long before it became very clear what was.  A low, distant rumble rose, and soon the camera was zooming in on a swiftly-building plume of fire and smoke.  The rumble grew until the full sound of the distant explosions hit deafeningly, jolting the camera.
       A blur of color as the camera was spun.  Then, the widely-grinning face of the hedgehog.  “That,” he yelled above the noise, “used to be your combot factory!”  He laughed, sounding a bit goofy and immature, then called, “Happy rebuilding!”  Another blur of color, then the darkness of something metal hitting the lens, coupled with a loud clang.  Instantly the screen went black.
       Silence.  Utter silence.  All but the gentle hum of machinery—and the harsh, shallow, trembling breath of Snively.  Kelly swallowed hard as she looked at him.  Beads of sweat had risen on his forehead.  He trembled so much that Kelly wondered how he could still stand.  She looked to the one from whom he was cowering.  Robotnik’s hands were trembling as well, but out of pure rage.  His eyes were blazing.  He opened his mouth to speak, but several moments passed before he uttered a sound.  When at last he spoke, his voice violently quivering, all he managed was, “Come…here…Snively.”
       Snively’s eyes grew even larger.  Slowly he began moving toward Robotnik, whimpering, wringing his hands.
       “Closer, Snively.”  Robotnik could barely contain himself.
       Snively took another tiny step, his boots shuffling softly on the hard metal floor.  He was trying to plead—or so it sounded—but could only manage to utter indistinguishable sounds.  Robotnik stood to his feet, casting an ominous shadow over the tiny man.
       The next moment, Snively was sailing backwards.  Kelly gasped in horror, but there was no way she could be heard over Robotnik’s angry roar.  Then he was upon Snively, fists flying at incredible speed.  Kelly shrank with flattened ears at the sickening sounds of Snively's frail form being impacted over and over again.  As if in shock, it took Snively several seconds before he let out a blood-curdling scream.  Robotnik grabbed him up by his shirt and threw him, Snively’s head slamming into the side of the computer.  But Robotnik was right there almost instantly, his black boots slamming into the tiny man's side repeatedly.  Snively curled into a fetal position, screaming once more, then wailing as if close to crying.
       Then…
       A flash of blinding light.
       Robotnik crumpled to the floor.
       Kelly opened her eyes.  Her hands were stretched forward toward the two men.  She had sent a stunning blow of energy through Robotnik, quicker than she could even think.  It took her a moment or two to realize what she'd done.
       Just like that—it was over.