Through the fog of tears that clouded his eyes, Snively only caught a glimpse of his uncle lying unmoving on the cold floor.  He half-hoped the fat bastard had somehow died.  But of course, that would be far too easy.  At the moment, all he could do was sob uncontrollably, hugging himself in pain and choking on a steady trickle of blood.
        Kelly stared at the human in horror, her gut seeming to twist and tighten.  No, she thought.  This isn’t happening.
       But there was no time for her disbelief, she told herself.  She hastily crossed the room to Snively, sitting on her knees in front of his battered form.  He flinched with fearful eyes at the sound of something there, the tender touch of unseen fingertips.  Kelly had forgotten she was invisible.  She waved her hand in an up-and-down gesture, and instantly she reappeared.  A yelp of surprise escaped Snively as he frantically scooted away.  Kelly reached out a hand gently, speaking soothingly to him.  “Shhh…be still, it’s okay.  You’re okay now, Sniv’.”
       “K-Kelly?  How did you…g-get here?”  His voice was hoarse with pain.  He coughed, then spat up blood.
       “Nevermind that,” Kelly said.  She gingerly placed a hand on his shoulder.  “I’m getting you out of here.  I think I remember the way to the medical wing—”
       “I don’t n-need your help,” Snively protested, scowling amid his pained expression.
       “Yes you do,” Kelly said firmly.  “Now shut up.  And close your eyes, this may be a little bright.”
       “What—”
       “Close them!”
       Snively swore lowly as he shut his eyes.  Almost immediately, another blinding flash of light appeared.  When he opened his eyes again, he found himself lying on one of the medical wing’s old beds.  The transportation was much quicker this time, considering how familiar this place was to Kelly.  She had checked it out in boredom several times.
       Snively attempted to gasp, but erupted in another deep cough, blood escaping his mouth in thick, dark drops.  Kelly cringed, her ears flattening.  Her hand was still on his shoulder.  “Try to be still,” she soothed once his coughing subsided.  He wrinkled his nose in protest.  “I t-told you I d-don’t—”
       “And I said shut up,” Kelly said.  “I’m going to help whether you like it or not.”  She placed another hand on him gently.  “Besides…” And her eyelids slowly closed in concentration, her hands beginning to emit a soft sea-green glow.  “This’ll be a lot quicker than it would’ve been.”  Slowly the light began to shine brighter, spreading like liquid to cover Snively’s body as he watched with wide eyes.  Suddenly, a wave of torturous pain overcame him.  He screamed and writhed.  All his wounds felt as though they were being pulled apart.  The pain only lasted a few seconds.  Then…warmth…like the feeling of being cradled in a mother’s arms.  Gentle tingling ran down his spine, coupled with a sudden sense of well-being.  He hardly noticed that Kelly’s hands were no longer touching him, or that she was soothing gently, “Just rest now…in a few hours, you’ll be just fine.”  He had not felt so safe, so secure, so warm and wonderful, since as far back as he could remember.  His mouth hung open, and he drew in a deep breath.  As he slowly let it out, a cloud of darkness overcame his vision…and he slipped into a deep slumber.
       Kelly watched as Snively fell asleep, a troubled expression etched on her face.  He looked so pitiful.  Much in contrast to the snob she usually had the displeasure of dealing with.  She knelt beside the bed, leveling her face with his, staring.  She wasn't even sure what she was looking for.  Something almost seemed to light on her shoulder.  An urge in her mind.  A whisper that couldn't be put into words.  Kelly narrowed her eyes, looking to the floor.
       Something flashed.  Kelly couldn't tell if it was real or imagined.  It flashed again.  She gasped.  A picture...moving.  That sense of knowledge, similar to what she'd experienced during her battle with Alexander.  She saw Snively.  Only it wasn't Snively.  He looked different.  She saw blonde hair covering his head.  And a sense as if she had to look up to see that blonde hair.
       The world returned.  Snively was snoring.  Kelly blinked, trying to grasp what just happened.  She remembered nothing of it.  The fox stood to her feet, assuming she'd just zoned out.  I'll have to do something about that fat guy, she thought.  She waved her hand and disappeared again, closing her eyes to transport herself back to the Command Room.  She would have to work fast.  And now that it was more familiar, that was no problem.  In a flash of light like the strike of lightning, she found herself there again.
       Robotnik was still sprawled on the floor like a lump of gelatin.  Thankfully his belly was rising and falling, so he wasn't dead.  Kelly growled briefly before forcing herself to go near him.  What was she going to do now?  If he awoke, would he remember what happened?  She stood there, arms crossed over her chest, and stared down at him.  Oh, sick.  He was drooling.
       She had a feeling there was a good chance that he'd forget what had happened, just disoriented upon waking.  She thought about waking him up herself.  But that wouldn't work.  She wasn't supposed to be here in the first place.  What fun it would be, explaining that.  Snively was absent too.  He was almost always by Robotnik's side doing his bidding.  Kelly sighed.  She was, at least, still invisible.  And after a few moments, that gave her an idea.
       She looked down at the drooling mound again, then rolled her eyes. "Ugh..."  She nudged him with her shoe.  He didn't awaken; just snorted deeply.  She wanted to kick him, after seeing him do the same to Snively.  The fox heaved a sigh and leaned down, touching a finger to his mechanical arm.  She wrinkled her nose.  Nevertheless, energy lept from her fingertip.  Robotnik jolted.  Blubber jiggled for several seconds.  His eyes opened, and Kelly lept back from him.  She waved her hand frantically.
       The next moment, Kelly was back in her room.  She shook her hands as if they had been contaminated. "Ughhh!!  God he freaks me out!"
       She sighed and waited several minutes.  Hopefully Robotnik would be awake, but not entirely aware yet.  She looked at her left arm.  Several weeks ago she had been given a small watch-like object that had a communicator on it.  She could use it any time.  She usually didn't.  But now, she gathered herself and pressed the button to activate it.  "Dr. Robotnik?" she said casually.  If there was one thing she prized, it was her ability to act at least fairly well.
       "Y-yes, er, what is it?"  He sounded none to pleased to be bothered.
       "I wonder if I could meet with you, sir.  I have a proposition for you."

       Snively awoke letting out another deep, peaceful sigh, turning onto his side.  He could feel the warmth of a worn, thin comforter around him.  Slowly he opened his eyes to find himself lying in one of the medical wing's beds.  He blinked in confusion.  Then the memory of the last few moments before he had fallen asleep began to resurface in his mind.  He rubbed the back of his head, perplexed.  Had to have been a dream, he assured himself.  There was no way those deep emerald eyes, that angelic voice soothing him, could have been real.  He glanced at his watch, and a soft whimper escaped him.  His mind filled with all the things he should have been doing, and all the things Robotnik could soon be doing to him.  He leapt from the bed, stumbling over the blanket, and scurried for the door.
       “Where have you been, Snively?” Robotnik growled as Snively hastily entered the Command Room, looking ragged.  Snively opened his mouth to speak, but froze suddenly.  For there, leaning against the main computer, was Kelly.  Her arms were crossed, her tail swishing to and fro behind her, a tranquil expression on her face.  Robotnik’s chair turned toward Snively, and now the eyes of both he and the fox were fixed on him.  He stuttered anxiously, “I-I-I’m n-not sure wh-what happened, s-sir.”
       Robotnik’s fingers were curling in building displeasure.  Kelly cleared her throat softly, knowing full well that her presence always made Robotnik force his anger down.  He at least had enough sense to try hard to win the fox’s loyalty.  And of course, she knew why.  Sure enough, he linked his hands over his belly, trembling though they were.  He swallowed hard.  “Well,” he said, “I suggest…you ensure that it does not happen again.”  He raised his robotic hand and gestured toward the monitors of the main computer.  “In your absence, I lost my COMBOT factory.”
       Snively stared at the screens, on which were displayed several angles of the former factory.  Smoke boiled upward into the sky, flames still leaping from the remains of the building.  Water sprayed in huge jets, SWATbots attempting to quench the fire.  So…this was no dream.  He looked to Kelly in disbelief.   Impossible!
       “I hope you’re happy now, Snively,” Robotnik growled, his voice quivering.  “This means at least another six months of rebuilding!”  His voice raised into a yell of fury, and Snively stepped back with a whimper.  “Calm down, Doctor,” Kelly said smoothly.  “With my help, I bet we could reduce it to one or less.”  She was grinning softly, her tail elegantly moving to and fro.  Robotnik twisted his thin, long moustache in thought, a bass “hmm” rising from his chest.
       “Her help?!” Snively wrinkled his nose slightly.
       “Yes, Snively.”  Robotnik grinned. “She has graciously offered her services.”
       “Oh.”  Snively sounded repulsed.
       “And you will supervise her.”
       Snively simply glared, making Kelly look away awkwardly.  I can’t wait, he thought in utter disgust.