All characters are copywrite Sega, and other media companies responsible for the international Sonic franchises (including DiC and Archie). This applies to all 'Glint' stories.

Story is by: M.C. Griffin (unless otherwise stated... I guess.)
*********************************

You hurt.

You bled.

You cried. Silently.

Sonic was nice enough to help you to the medic. His hand on your back. Your arm on his shoulder. There was no warm smile. No eye contact. No sweet nothings. Just frustration.

Frustrated that you kept passing out.

Frustrated that you were delusional.

Frustrated that you ran into a fucking tree.

You could tell he wanted to ask what was wrong with you. It's funny how fast sympathy turned into disgust. This wasn't like him, but then, it wasn't like you to go running into trees.

You tried to look into Sonic's eyes, searching for some kind of reassurance. Hoping he didn't think you were a total dingbat. Instead you saw the side of his face, strait forward. Your eyelids became heavy. You drifted, murmuring something as you went that you can't even remember.

Your eyes widened again. You stared up at a straw ceiling, dimly lit. As your eyes came into focus you could only see blurry shades of hot reds and cool blues. You realized it was Bunny's room.

"Bunny?" You sat up in the straw bed.

"'Fraid not"A masculine voice. The voice of the doctor.

Your eyes focused. You were in the crude, primitive hospital. With its herbal remedies and carved tools, save some that were taken from my city.

Red and blue.

"I figure this was a work of carma."

"What?" you choked

"Not everyone can say they inspired suicide."

"How did...?"

"I know? I could tell..." he picked up an ice pack lying on one of the several shelves. "You learn how to tell these things after a while." He continued "This wasn't a cry for help. This was suicide. Sad, and desperate."

The doctor's incite was amazing. "I didn't mean to" you said. "It was his own choice. This was years of pent up frustration... however desperate, he made the wrong decision."

The doctor lifted your head to lay the ice pack under it. You felt a sting. You didn't even realize how hard you had hit your when you fell. "Were you mad at him?"

"For what?"

"For attempting suicide."

"No, more disappointed in him."

"Hmm..."

"He never accomplishes anything. He could've at least killed himself right." What happened to you? You were always so sweet.

"That's a very interesting perspective."

"Hmm..." You mimicked his sarcastic sound.

He dressed the wound on your head and bandaged the bridge of your nose. "The good news is, your nose isn't broken, the skin was just torn. However, if it starts to bleed from your nasal passage come and see me and I'll tell you what's wrong."

"Could you help it if there was bleeding?"

He looked around at the primitive tools and red herbs wrapped in tiny rope. "No."

You let out a sigh.

"Look, just don't take off the bandages, and keep your weight off the back of your head."

"Anything for the pain?"

He smiled. "What does this look like, a hospital? Goodbye princess"

Why did they always have to call you that?

You went to bed.

You walked right by Sonic and went to bed.

You walked right by Miles and went to bed.

You walked right by Antoine and went to bed.

You walked right by Antoine's wrist and went to bed.

You walked right by every concerned little prick that came between you and your bed. Sleep could be your escape. Your escape from guilt. Your escape from Sonic. Your escape from Antoine. Your escape from frustration. Your escape from attempted suicides. Your escape from curious children. Your escape from picking oranges. Your escape from other's nightmares. Your escape from imaginary races. Your escape from bleeding head wounds. Your escape from torn noses. Your escape from sarcastic doctors.

You walked right by Dulcey and went to bed.

You walked right by Rosy and went to bed.

You walked right by every other person you never talked to anymore. Everything that would mean nothing to you until sleeping came off the priority list.

You walked right by... Where was she?

Bunny.

You sat up from your pillow with a start. It was dark. Cold. You put your hand to your head to wipe it of the cold sweat running all over your body.

There was something missing.

You looked outside. The silence was due to the fact that it was night. No commotion. No noise. Just the natural silence of the surrounding nature. You walked out of your hut, sat down in your doorway, and looked up to the moon, peaking out of the tree tops.

I sometimes wish I could've lived in your world. So natural. So free. With such potential to be silent. Large trees. Placid lakes. Wild life. Natural. Healthy. But your world wasn't free. I was free. I was the ruler of beautiful slaves, and you and your people were just renegade potentials. Destined for my legacy, but so stubborn.

The full moon, large and blue, lit the forest with a fair luminescence. You walked the path to the lake. The same path you walked the day before. Lush. Green. Wet.

The peace you found in the village was nothing compared to the peace you found lying blissfully on the dock of the lake. Until...

It was so typical. The bandages began to itch from the moisture in the air. Nothing could ever be perfect. No, then we'd have to die. With perfection what more would there be to live for?

You began to think of what you wanted.

You wanted to be Sonic's equal. You wanted Bunny. You wanted to give up on taking back Mobotropolis. You wanted the safety of your friends. You wanted happiness...

Happiness.

Not happiness for one aspect of your life, but all of it. Did anyone ever have that.

What did you have? Bunny. At least there was that.

The itching started to become unbearable. You got up to leave when you heard a distant hum.

It was coming from the village. The source emitted a glorious golden glow. You ran off the path from the lake into the tamed forest, making sure not to hit a tree in the dark.

The well. Sonic's well.

A ring was forming and no one was there to catch it. You didn't know if you'd make it or not, but you kept running anyway.

These rings that would emerge from the well had the strange ability to enable Sonic to engage great speeds. If they worked for him, then why not you?

You were ten feet away when the ring shot up into the air. You jumped with all your momentum and landed on the brick laden edge of the well. You desperately reached your hand out.

It was like poetry. You had attained the ring with such rhythm, and grace it was no wonder you were a freedom fighter and not just a royal figure head for the resistance.

You walked with an air of contempt. You were finally in a good mood again. You looked at the glowing gold object in your hand and suddenly felt giddy, like a little kid. The ring was a symbol of what you couldn't have. You entered your hut and stuffed it in your sack after taking one more glorious look at the wonderful object.

You slept like a rock.

You woke up in the shiny morning to the refreshing sight of Bunny in your door. When she saw you awake she ran and jumped into your bed. For a moment you were afraid the frail wooden bed would break but then you were just happy she was there.

"How ya doin'?" she asked in a cheerful, silly voice made all the sillier with her southern accent.

"Fine... I'm doing fine. I didn't see you last night."

She lightly felt the bandage on your nose. She looked away, realizing how you might've felt when she didn't come to see you outside the hospital. "I... I'm sorry I wasn't there, I was working on the plan. What happened?"

"I ran into a tree. But that's not important!" you added quickly. "What's important is how happy I am that you are here to see me."

"Actually... I wanted to see if you could filter me."

"What about Rotor?"

"I left him in the strategy room last night and he worked without me until he fell asleep. I found him in there sleeping on our work. Besides... it could be an intimate experience for us."

You smiled "You know I love those."

She pecked you on the lips and the two of you stepped into the outhouse outside your hut.

Because her lower parts were robotic, Bunny had to be filtered every week. You see, my robots are designed to use up every nutrient of food they ingest. This is why there are chilly dog machines in my city. That, and to trap the hedgehog. Anyway, because there is no waste disposal system, after everyone escaped me, Bunny began to suffer from bodily waste poisoning. There were very few adult survivors and an even smaller fraction were doctors. Fortunately, Rotors now dead mentor, a large wombat by the name of Ido was ready with his tools. He worked with the doctors to build a hatch just below Bunny's belly that would capture the waste that her natural half would produce. She would need help though, since the release valve was so deep beneath the surface of her underbelly.

Needless to say, it smelled like shit. In spite of the smell though, you were flattered that the girl you loved wanted you to do something like this for her.

"How is the plan going anyway?" You risked the headache that this subject would bring for the sake of conversation.

"Fine... We think we might be able to bring the doctor down indefinitely this time. Rotor did a lot of research for this one."

"So... give me a heads up. What does this mission entitle?"

"That would ruin the surprise. The only thing I can tell you for sure is that it will mostly run on Sonic"

"No surprise there." you said, with a bit of distaste.

"Well, he is the most able member of the group."

You hated hearing that part. Why did he have to be so powerful? Why did he have to be so important? Why wasn't he the fucking leader?

A combination of your distaste for Sonic's greatness and the smell of shit and piss made you feel sick. You stood up and brushed yourself off. It made you feel a bit dizzy. Your head was still light from the previous day's wound.

"Sally?"

"Yes?"

"You feelin' alright hon'?"

"Ya, let's get you cleaned up."

The two of you went down to the lake hand in hand. You were holding Bunny's real hand now. Real, as if the other was imaginary. They were both real, this was the hand of bone, meat, skin and fur. The imperfect hand. The hand that would decay. The hand that would tear. If this hand was cut off, it couldn't be put back together. If this hand was hurt she would feel pain. If she stuck some scissors through this wrist she'd bleed to death unless someone brought her to a pessimistic doctor.

You shuddered. You grabbed her by the waist and pulled her toward you as the two of you walked the dewy path. She gave you a cute smile and shifted to your other side. What was she doing?

You felt her cold metal hand on your ass as she lifted you swiftly into the air and onto her shoulder. You gave a little giggle.

This was fun. This was happiness. Nothing ever felt this good before. Nothing ever inspired such warmth and cold at the same time.

You were looking at the green path from a new perspective now. The first person you thought of was me. Was that how tall I was? Was that what the world looked like to me?

You arrived at the lake. Sonic was there fishing with Miles sitting and talking with him.

Two people you didn't want to see.

Miles' questions.

Sonic's superiority.

They both looked. Sonic offered his usual, casual wave with his usual fond smile. Miles looked as if trying to remember what you told him the other day, then he waved. Your pretty sure he said hi but you couldn't hear.

Bunny set you down and walked to the lake. She was still the most beautiful person you ever knew. Such a cute face. Such a sultry, curvy shape. Her fur was fair. Her metal was polished. She kept herself in spite of where we were. It wasn't vanity, she wasn't vane. There wasn't vanity in Knothole. Mobotropolis had flashy clothes and makeup, not Knothole. Bunny had pried. She was proud of her looks. That's why she kept herself clean and shiny, as oppose to primmed and painted over.

Sonic noticed your admiration. He gave Miles a motion to the path with his head.

You watched as Miles walked slowly by you and down the path.

"Bye Sonic, bye Bunny!!" he hollered.

"Bye Aunt Sally." he gave you a big hug. It seemed to make up for yesterday but you knew it couldn't stop your guilt.

You sat by Sonic who put up his pole.

"What, aren't you going to fish anymore?"

He motioned at Bunny only just then diving in the water. "Hygiene before hunger I guess."

"Oh shit... I'm sorry."

"No, it's okay. I've got enough food for a while anyway."

"No, no I..." you looked over at Bunny bathing herself, then back at Sonic. "I should've thought."

"Look, I said it's okay alright... I've been worried about you lately Sal."

You looked back up at him, a concerned look on your face "Why?"

"I don't know."

"C'mon, tell me."

"Well... first you stay in your room for six hours"

*Sit baCk, rElax, and plaY wIth yoUrSelf.*

"I see you here after that, you didn't even come over and talk to me."

*SomethiNg tHat diRty cOuldn't liVe amonGst alL tHis surRounDing bEauty*

"Then, I hear you cuss out Antoine and throw out his plan."

*No yOu liSten yoU ltTle sHit I've liVed my entiRe lifE wIth yoUr bitcHing and whinIng*

"I'm out in the library, I only just saw Bunny coming from where he was, and I hear he stabbed his wrist!"

*RoboTicizAtion... Zat or dEath, RobotNik leFt no otheR oPtions*

"Next time I see you... you... you run into a fucking tree!!"

*FinaLly yOu weRe eQuals.*

"I take you to the hospital, and you show absolutely no gratitude for me, or any of the others who came to see you!"

*Sleep couLd be youR eScape*

"Plus, someone told me this morning that they saw you running around the village in the middle of the night when you should've been recuperating."

*The riNg wAs a sYmbol of whAt yoU cOuldn't haVe*

You felt like Sonic put his hand through your chest. With every other word your heart skipped a beat. Quick memories of things that he mentioned and things he didn't raced through you. Memories. Memories of memories. Images. Images of images.

You turned away and saw Bunny sitting on the sandy lakeside, watching the two of you.

"I... I don't know what to tell you. You're right I..."

"Do you know what Tails told me today?"

Oh no.

"Wait.."

"Y'know what he told me? He told me you said you were a lesbian!!"

*The blAtant, and coRruptIve truTh*

Bunny looked up at you, then threw her face into her hands and massaged the bridge of her nose. You looked back up at Sonic to once again see the side of his face. His lips were tight. You could feel tears begin to run down your face. You tried not to sob.

"Do you know how hard it is to explain the idea of homosexuality to a twelve year old raised in nature."

The poor kid knew nothing of sex, but violence was second nature.

Sonic looked into your leaking eyes. You thought of him as a child, breaking open Bunny's tube. Ruining her chances for perfection. Ruining your chances for perfection. You became aware of your hand. You looked away, trying to hold in a whale that could scare the birds out of their trees.

"Why didn't you tell me Sal? You and me,... we've been together since the beginning,... since before any of this shit. Why wasn't I the first to know?"

You grimaced with the pain of his words. He was right. He realized how harsh he was being to you.

"I'm sorry, I know this is a very emotional thing for you." he held you in his thin, yet firm arms. You held your head under his chin.

You let it all out.

You balled, you sobbed, you blubbered, you whaled. It felt so good. It felt good to feel like someone understood you even slightly. You became silent. Peaceful. Like the lake. You sat up and looked at it. The sun reflecting off its surface through the trees.

"Besides..." he gave a reassuring smile. "It's kind of cool to know that we have a common interest."

The two of you looked at Bunny who was smiling now. Glad to see that there were no harsh feelings between the two of you.

"Sonic?"

"Yes?"

"Do you think... How did you get the way you are?"

"No one knows."

"Oh,..."

You remembered his staggering superiority to everything and anything you could ever be.

"Go and be with Bunny. She needs your words more than you need mine."

"Thank you." You wiped your face of the tears and stood up. You walked a few steps away from Sonic who was still staring at the lake. You turned around.

"Sonic?"

"Ya?"

"Did you ever... um... feel anything for...?"

"Don't worry about me Sal, go see the person you love. With lives like ours, there is no time for doubt."

Absolute truth. You hugged Bunny when you saw her. Still wet. You made sure your bandages didn't get wet as you felt the metal of Bunny's arm, slick with water.

You kissed her lips even though Sonic was still on the dock.

Oh well, he seemed to be okay with the whole idea.

You began to dry Bunny off with the towels Rosy made so long ago. You couldn't believe you still had them. Some of the few relics from before that beautiful day of destruction. Before you were delivered from me. Before your love became a hybrid of fur and metal.

*You tOld heR it woUld be oKay. That it waS a goOd tHing. That the machinE wOuld mAke her beTter. More eFficient. She woulD be hAppier. She wOuld be comPlete. She wouLd be pErfect.*

"Bunny?"

"Yes?"

"Do you remember when Mobotropolis was invaded?"

"Of coarse."

"Um... Do you remember the line to the roboticizer?"

"Vaguely? Why?"

"Do you remember... um... do you remember..." It was hard to ask her about that day.

"What? Do I remember what?"

You let it out. "Do you remember what I said when it was your turn?"

"No, but then, I don't think I can remember much of anything from that point."

"Good"
***************************

This is still not the end
Reviews are appreciated