Disclaimer- I do not own either ‘A Christmas Carol’ or ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’. SEGA, DiC Entertainment, Archie Comics, and Charles Dickens own everything here.

STARRING:

Dr. Robotnik... Ebenezer Scrooge

Snively... Bob Cratchet/ Fred

Ixis Naugus... Jacob Marley

Sonic... Ghost of Christmas Past

Dulcy... Ghost of Christmas Present

King Maximilian Acorn... Ghost of Christmas Future

Tails... Tiny Tim

Princess Sally... Tiny Tails’ aunt

Bunnie Rabbot... Cratchet/Fred’s fiancee

Antoine and Rotor: Beggars

It was Christmas Eve on the planet of Mobius. Everybody in the quaint village of Knothole was excitedly and busily getting ready for that happy time of year. Everything looked so joyful and merry. The Christmas lights and decorations, both inside and outside, were hung with care. The citizens called out “Merry Christmas!” to one-another as they passed by, and carollers went from door-to-door.. The adults tended to their decorating, cooking, and Christmas shopping, while the young children played outdoor games in the snow. Inside the Great Hall, the traditional Knothole Christmas Feast was being prepared. And a giant festive-looking Christmas tree, hand-picked from the Great Forest by Princess Sally, was centered right in the middle of the village; this beautiful tree was their pride and joy.

Yes, things were indeed very happy and joyful down in Knothole. But over in the bleak, polluted, miserable city of Robotropolis, joy and happyness, and fun never existed. So naturally, the evil Dr. Robotnik had cancelled this festive holiday every year, ever since he had taken over Mobotropolis and banished King Acorn to the Void all those years ago. Being an evil tyrant who loved and lived on misery, particularly if it was the misery of others, there was nothing Robotnik hated more than Christmas. He loathed the holiday with all his metallic heart, almost as much as he did Sonic. Just the very mention of the word, “Christmas” alone was enough to drive him into a great furry! He had completely outlawed it, and made a rule that if anybody were to dare celebrate it in any way, shape, or form, or even so much as discuss or mention it- especially in his presence- the penalty would be immediate capture and robotization.

But this evil tyrant would soon come to regret and forget his evil, unfair ways, for this Christmas would be quite different for Robotnik, as you shall eventually find out.

Our story begins just last Christmas, actually. Robotnik was down in the Control Room, comfortably sitting in his green revolving chair/throne, going on about how much he both hated and loved Christmas. (Just read on, you’ll see what I mean in a second.)

Christmas,” Robotnik sneered in a hateful tone. “The most wretched day of the whole year! A complete waste of time! Honestly, merry-making, joy, and other such inane frivolity is only for the weak, pathetic little do-gooders- not for evil geniuses, such as myself, who have far more important things to occupy our brilliant minds with!” He turned to his short little nephew/lackey. “Don’t you agree, Snively?”

“Er... yes, sir. Quite,” Snively said in his usual monotone, though a little half-hearted than usual. He gave a wistful little sigh and turned back to observing the monitors.

“And yet... at the same time, this wretched time of year is also my favorite time of the year,” Robotnik was saying. “And do you know why that is, Snively?”

Snively looked confused. “No, sir. I thought you truely hated Christmas,” he remarked. “If you don’t mind my saying so, sir, I’ve never heard of such a paradox before.”

Robotnik rolled his eyes. “I didn’t expect your puny little mind to comprehend such a deep paradox either, nephew,” he sneered. He folded the tips of his fingers together. “You see, Snively, this just also happens to be my favorite time of year simply because this is the one time of year when I have what I really want- complete solitude!” He motioned towards the monitors. “In case you haven’t noticed, there are usually next to no disturbances in the city by those meddling Freedom Fighters. The Hedgehog and those other furry forest brats are so caught up in their merry-making and celebrating that they put off destroying my factories, ‘bots, and generators, and ruining my plans until the holidays are over! It’s not only a break for them, but it’s a well-deserved break for myself as well,” he was saying smugly.

Snively had to sort of agree. One good thing about Christmas for himself personally was that it was also a break for the poor little lackey too- a break from taking the blame and the beatings for everytime something went wrong. “Yes, but you always still manage to find something to pick on me for, you miserable old miser,” he bitterly muttered under his breath.

Robotnik’s eyes glowed like a pair of red Christmas lights. “Someday I shall have to cure you of your ridiculous little habbit of talking to yourself, my boy...”

Snively gulped. “Oh, I-I-I merely wanted to ask a question of you, my liege!” he stammered

nervously as he began to shake and sweat all over. Well, that wasn’t a total lie. He actually did have something he had been meaning to ask him, but he was terrifed to ask him. He was terrified of how his uncle would react, for he knew well that it was something he would not approve of, especially coming from his own lackey. Which also led right to a secret confession... “Sir,” he squeaked, dropping to his knees and pathetically crawling over to Uncle’s feet. “Please, I implore your forgiveness for what I am about to say. I have a confession to make to you... I don’t hate Christmas.”

Robotnik leapt up from his chair. “YOU WHAT?!” He grabbed up his grovelling, whimpering little nephew and glared into his face. “Did I just hear what I thought I heard, you treacherous little snake? But no... say you were lying and, even now, you shall be forgiven...”

Snively gulped, the sweat just pouring off his face. “Please hear me out, sir!” he cried. “For the longest time, I had always hated Christmas just like you... until that day I met her,” he added in a dreamy tone. “Bunnie Rabbot... Just last year, she helped me realize what a wonderful holiday Christmas truely is. She has shown me the light, sir. She opened up my eyes. She taught me to truely love Christmas with all my heart. And... the more time I began to spend with her, sir, the more we both realized just how much we were in love with each other. And now we are engaged to be married, sir. We are to be wed as of the day after Christmas.” He stared firmly into his uncle’s shocked eyes. “And Iwould just like to say in my defense that if the spirit of Christmas can not only show somebody the error of their ways, but can cause two completely different people, from different worlds, to fall in love, than it truely is the most magical time of the year! I regret nothing!” he said firmly. He paused. “Er, anyway, I just wanted to know if you would like to attend our wedding! Here’s an invitation, along with a customary Christmas wreath!” he said, trying out his most winning smile. He chuckled nervously, holding up the invitation and wreath as an offering. “Er, no hard feelings, right, sir? M-merry C-Christmas?”

Robotnik glared at Snively, growling with furry. His whole face was as red as Christmas light, smoke coming from his robotic sensors he used as ears. “You... disgust and disgrace me... Snively,” he growled. “And so, let me just say this: YOU’RE FIRED!!” He ripped up the wedding invitation and stuffed the pieces into Snively’s mouth. And the next thing Snively knew, he was sitting on his butt in the freezing snow, wearing the wreath around his long nose. “FROM THIS DAY FORWARD... I, DR. IVO ROBOTNIK, HAVE NO NEPHEW!” Robotnik roared from the doorway. He smiled a sickeningly-sarcastic smile. “Oh, and merry Christmas.” He slammed the huge iron door.

Snively got to his feet, brushing the snow off himself. “Hmph! And a very merry Christmas to you too, Uncle Julian!” he sneered. “A simple “No thank you” would have sufficed just fine, I should think,” he muttered, adjusting his worn old scraf and putting on his worn old mitts and cap. (A/N: Think of those old English caps they used to wear back in Dickens’ day!) Just then, he heard Robotnik yell from the inside, “WHERE’S ALL MY COAL?!”

Snively cackled like a madman. “Oh well, what the Big Round Guy doesn’t know can’t hurt him.” Laughing like a goon, he fled off in the direction of the Great Forest, towards Knothole, to see Bunnie. From his pockets spilled forth several lumps of coal.

Just than a SWATBot came by to inform Robotnik of two Freedom Fighters come to beg for Charity, or something. “Blast it all! Can’t a frickin’ evil genius get any time to himself on this wretched holiday?!” he yelled as he hauled his lazy, nine-hundred-pound carcass all the way down to the main entrance... just for the sole pleasure of telling them off, you understand. “Nnyeeeees?” he cooed to them in a sickeningly-sweet tone. “And what can I do for you two gentleman this fine holiday evening?” he inquired, pressing his finger-tips together. “Well?! State your business, or else be off with you beggars! I am a very busy evil genius!” he than yelled a split second later, before they could even say anything.

It was Antoine and Rotor. “Um, sorry to be a bother, Dr. Robotnik, we know it’s late and all, but we’re collecting-” Rotor began.

“You’re tax collectors from the IRS?! Oh, dear gods! I’m sorry, my good fellows, but the lady of the house isn’t home and besides, we already sent you people a check last week! Good evening!” And with that, Robotnik slammed the door in their faces.

“Hmph! Such rudeness!” Antoine snorted. “Well, we shall soon be seeing about zat!” He rang the doorbell.

“Confound it all!” Robotnik yelled. “I hate this holiday!” He yanked open the huge metal doors. “GET OUT OF HERE! YOUR SERVICES ARE NO LONGER REQUIRED!” SLAM!

“But we’re not really street beggars!” came the walrus’s voice over the intercom system from outside. “We’re not collecting for money... we’re actually collecting spare parts to build a de-robotizer.”

Robotnik calmly opened the door. “Well, um, you see,” he began, pressing his finger-tips together, “if you build a de-roboticizer, than you would be able to roboticize all the citizens, don’t you know?” he reasoned.

“Well, actually, that’s kinda the whole point...”

“And if all the citizens were de-roboticized, than you wouldn’t have to fight for their freedom anymore, right?” Robotnik went on.

“Hmmm... zat eez being a very good point,” Antoine commented.

Robotnik grabbed Antoine by his uniform. “Aaaand,” he stressed, “if you didn’t have to fight for freedom anymore, than you would be out of a job!” He layed a dramatic hand over his face. “Oh, please, gentlemen,” he begged, “don’t ask me to put you out of a job- not on Christmas Eve!”

“Gee, we wouldn’t do that, Robotnik!” Rotor said, shaking his head, eyes wide in shocked innocence

“Well than,” Robotnik snapped, “I suppose you can give this to the poor... and be gone!” With that, he dropped a huge rock-hard fruit cake, that his mother had sent him, into their bag. He slammed the huge iron door.

“Oh, what’s this world coming to?” he sighed wearily, as he walked back to the Control Room. “You work all your life to get power... and people want to take it all away!”

Later that evening, Robotnik was up in his bedroom, reading Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep, wearing a nightgown and nightcap (Hey, it’s what Scrooge wore). He was sitting in his chair, almost halfway through the book, when he suddenly had a most frightful experience. I mean, you would be scared shitless too, if the ghost of your dead business partner came floating in through your bedroom door! “Rooo-bot-niiik!” moaned the ghost, as it floated over to the fat tyrant, shaking it’s chains. “Roo-bot-niiik... I have returned, old friend...”

“IXIS NAUGUS?! NO! But how can it be so? I thought you were in the Void for all these years! And how can you be deceased? Whatever happened to you while you were in the Void, Naugus?!” Robotnik cried, as he pissed himself out of sheer fright.

I have come to wreak my horrible revenge, old friend... for trapping me within the Void for all these wretched years. I have finally learned how to open the gateway to the Void, using an ancient spell of mine. But alas, the effects of being trapped in the Void for so long has transformed my body entirely to crystal once I was exposed to the outside of it’s walls. Unable to make it back into the Void in time, my body became entire crystal. And now I am dead, Julian. But my vengeful soul lives on... hungry for revenge against the traitor who trapped me in the Void long ago! Julian, do you remember what I said the penalty for betraying me would be, before you sent me into the Void?”

Robotnik gasped. “Oh, great gods! Please, Naugus, don’t cast one of your Shape-Shifting spells on me! I swear, I never meant to betray you, old friend! But please don’t transform me into an sort of animal or beast! And please spare me from your dreadful electrical magic!”

Consider yourself very fortunate that I cannot use my magic after death, Robotnik. But I have been sent here for quite another purpose. The gods are very displeased with you, my friend- they know how cruel, evil, and heartless you are, especially around this time of year. Therefore, I have been sent by the ancient gods of Mobius to warn you... You shall be banished to the Void for all eternity for your horrible crimes!”

“NO!” Robotnik cried. “There must be another way! Oh, surely the gods can give me another chance!”

Lucky for you, the gods are willing to give you one last chance, Julian. Mark my words carefully: As of this very night, you shall be visited by three spirits. Do exactly as they say. After all they have shown you and told you tonight, if you still refuse to go back on your evil ways before morning comes, than you shall be banished to the Void forever... and when you die, your chains shall be heavier than mine. You have been warned, old friend.” Just than, the clock struck ten. “And now the time has come for me to take my leave, Julian. Remember my words well. Farewell.” And with that, the ghost of Ixis Naugus vanished into thin air.

Robotnik snorted. “Spirits... hah! Why, I don’t doubt that he was merely a figment of my imagination! A mere hallucination! Well, that’ll teach me to eat before going to bed...”

Robotnik was now sleeping, and occasionally muttering “Christmas! Bah, humbug!” in his sleep. Yep, so far everything was a-okay. No spirits... Nope, not a single one...

“Yo, Robuttnik! This ain’t no time to be catching ‘Z’s! Up and at ‘em, egg-head; I’m on a tight schedule, you know!”

“WHAT ON MOBIUS?!” Robotnik bolted up in bed, upon hearing the voice of his arch-ememy, Sonic the Hedgehog. “HEDGEHOG?! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?! SECURITY!” he screamed.

“Chill, Robuttnik. I ain’t really Sonic the Hedgehog, I’m just assuming his way-past-cool form! I’m the Ghost of Christmas Past!” the Spirit said proudly, hands on his hips. “And we’re gonna pay a litle visit to your past, pal!” He held up a strange-looking stone in his hands.

“What’s that?” Robotnik demanded.

“This here’s a Time Stone, blubber-buns! I’m gonna use it to teleport us back in time!” the Spirit said.

“I can’t go anywhere right now, you foolish spirit! I’m not even dressed!”

The Spirit yawned, ignoring his last remark. “I’m waiting...” he said, impatiently tapping his foot.

“Dr. Ivo Robotnik goes nowhere without his pants!” Robotnik snapped, folding his arms.

The Spirit rolled his eyes. “Okay, okay,” he said in an annoyed tone. “But put the pedal to the metal already, Robuttnik! We gotta juice!”

Robtnik hurried into his closet and got dressed. Than he came back out, walked over to the Spirit, and said impatiently, “Let’s just get this over with!”

The Spirit held up the Time Stone in his hand, closed his eyes, and said aloud the time and place of his desired past destination... back to the time when Robotropolis was Mobotropolis, and King Acorn was still in power. There was a blinding flash of light, as the secret power of the Time Stone was activated.

“Wait a minute, what am I doing?! I don’t even believe in you! This is all a nightmare!” Robotnik cried, just before they vanished back in time.

“Where are we?” Robotnik cried as he glanced around the non-toxic city. Everything looked so bright, happy, and peaceful... certainly not his style.

“Duh... this here’s the city of Mobotropolis, Robuttnik! This is the time before you took over the joint!”

Robotnik scowled. “Why are we even here?! What is the point of this, spirit? Take me back home at once!”

“Not yet, pal... first, we’re gonna go on a little tour. Places to see, people to meet... it’ll be like old times!” He grabbed ahold of Robotnik’s hand. “Hold on tight! It’s juice and jam time!” He sped down the street, towing a yelling Robotnik. “First stop- Palace Acorn!”

They entered the old royal palace, into the Throne Room. They could see a younger Robotnik, dressed in his warlord uniform, standing before King Acorn. “Look familiar, Robuttnik?” Sonic asked.

“Why... that’s me! This was back when I was known as Warlord Julian! I had stopped the Great War... but little did Acorn know that my own true intentions were certainly not loyal to the kingdom! The old fool...”

“You have ended the Great War, Julian,” King Acorn was saying. “Your services to the kingdom have proven most loyal and noble. I knight you Warlord of Mobotropolis. Tonight you shall be our guest of honor at the royal banquet, celebrating the end of the War, where you will favor us all with a speech on how you alone ended the Great War with your heroic efforts. That is a royal order, my friend.”

Julian bowed. “Oh, why, thank you, your Majesty! You are too kind, Sire! To serve you, my king, is truely the greatest reward of all! Until tonight then, your Grace.”

Robotnik smiled evilly. “I had everyone fooled into thinking that I was a hero, which is exactly what I had wanted. They were all blind to my treason, especially the king! Fools, all of them...”

“Don’t get too cocky, metal-head!” the Spirit snapped. “I still got one more thing to show ya!” He grabbed onto Robotnik and juiced down to another part of the palace. There stood Julian, accompanied by his nephew, Snively.

“Just think, Uncle Julian! Soon, Mobotropolis will be all ours!” a younger Snively was eagerly saying to his uncle. Yup, this was back when the little guy actually had hair!

Julian glared down at his innocently-ignorant kin. “Ours, nephew?” He shook his head. “No, you little naive fool. I believe you really mean all mine...”

Snively looked confused. “B-but Uncle Julian... I don’t understand. I thought that we were going to take over the city together. You promised that if I assisted you, you would equally share all the power with me, fifty-fifty. Aren’t- aren’t we partners? Aren’t we in this together, as a team?”

Robotnik grabbed up Snively by the back of his green shirt, much to his shock. “Now you listen to me, nephew, and listen very carefully! Things are going to be very different now. From now on, there will be a new order... my order alone... and do you know what that means, my ignorant child?”

Snively was getting worried. Why was his uncle treating him like this? “No, Uncle Julian,” he said nervously.

“You will call address me as “sir”!” Julian snapped in his face, before informing him of his true place. “Do you understand? Never “Uncle Julian” anymore, but only as “sir” or “Dr. Robotnik”!”

“Yes, sir?” the young man whimpered.

Robotnik looked him square in the face. “From now on... you will do exactly as I say! Do you understand that, my little lackey?” he asked, dropping him roughly to the ground.

Snively looked up at his uncle, now lord and master, with hurt eyes. “Yes, sir,” he said in a submissive tone, tears shimmering those baby-blues of his.

The Spirit looked at Robotnik. “You selfishly loved power and control over your own nephew... your own flesh-and-blood, Robotnik.” He shook his head and frowned. “Boy, you really gotta get your priorities straightened out... big time.”

Robotnik noticed, for the first time ever, just how hurt and confused his little nephew was. “Oh, what have I done to you, my poor nephew?” he cried, bursting into tears. “How could I have robbed you of your innocence all those years ago? I’ve lied to you, used you, and abused you! I never realized how much I truely took advantage of you! Oh, how could I have treated my own kin like a slave?” he cried.

“The poor little guy really looked up to you once, Robuttnik,” the Spirit was saying. “He loved you... he respected and admired you... he wanted to follow in your footsteps and become just like you! He did everything for you! And you totally took him for granted. That ain’t very nice, you know.”

Robotnik recalled all the times he screamed at, blamed, and even beat Snively. “Oh, Snively, I’m so sorry!” he cried out to the little man. “I never meant to do this to you! Can you ever forgive me?”

Hel-loooo...” the Spirit said, rolling his eyes. “He can’t hear us, or see us! Nobody can! Duh!” He grabbed onto Robotnik’s hand. “Well, come on, Robuttski; I got just one last thing to show ya!” They juiced back outside, where Julian was just in the middle of revealing his true intentions to the King and citizens. “Welcome... to the city of Robotroplis!” he was saying, as he stepped out from his hovercraft before the crowd, dressed in his usual yed and yellow uniform.

“Julian, what is the meaning of this treachery?!” King Acorn cried in outrage, as the SWATBots surrounded and seized everybody.

“The name is no longer “Julian”!” the fat tyrant snapped. “I am now Robotnik! Remember the name well, all of you! And I’m afraid that this is my kingdom, as of now...”

LATER...

Down in the former Throne Room, now Robotnik’s Control Room, the citizens watched helplessly as their beloved monarch was about to get sent into the Void. “Say hello to Naugus, Sire,” Robotnik/Julian smirked. He turned to his new lackey. “Open the gateway to the Void!” he ordered Snively.

You’ll pay for this, Julian! You’ll payyyyy...” the King yelled, as he got pulled into the Void.

Daddy! Noooo!” a young Princess Sally screamed, before breaking into sobs.

The Spirit turned towards Robotnik. “Oh, wait’ll ya see what happens next,” he said sarcastically. “This is the part where you give the whole city one heck of a mondo make-over, and roboticize all the citizens! Ain’t that your favorite part?”

“Oh please, spirit!” Robotnik cried. “I’ve seen enough! I can’t bear to watch any more of my own monstrosity! Take me back, I beg of you!”

“You got it,” the Spirit shrugged. He frowned. “But remember, Robuttnik- you fashioned these memories yourself... yourself... yourself...

The next thing Robotnik knew, he was back in his own bed. “What- what on Mobius was all that?” he cried. He sighed and shook his head. “A dream. It was all a dream... more like a nightmare!” Yawning, he settled back into bed. He felt very tired indeed.

All of a sudden, there came a great crashing noise, as if a wreaking ball had just smashed right through his bedroom walls! Yelling in surprise, Robotnik threw open the curtains of his canopy-bed. And there, much to his shock and horror, was a femal dragon in his room. “Ohhh, hello, Ma; I’m home,” the dragon mutteed in a dazed, ditzy fashion.

“WHAT ON MOBIUS HAVE YOU DONE?! LOOK AT MY PRECIOUS WALLS! YOU’VE COMPLETELY DESTROYED MY BEDROOM, YOU OVER-GROWN LIZARD!!” the fat tyrant screamed, jumping up and down. He paused. “Wait a minute... I know you! I’ve seen you before! You’re that dragon Freedom Fighter!”

“Actually, I’m not really Dulcy... I’m just assuming her form,” the dragon said. “I’m really the Ghost of Christmas Present.”

“You come bearing gifts for me? Like Santa Clause? Oh, goody!” Robotnik squealed in childish excitement, jumping up and down. “I so do love receiving presents!”

“In your dreams, Robotnik! The only kind of Chirstmas gift you deserve is a lump of coal! Anyway, that’s not the kind of ‘present’ I meant- I mean ‘present’ as in things that occur now!” the Spirit snapped.

“Oh, phooey!” Robotnik grumbled, pouting.

The Spirit grabbed Robotnik and placed him onto her back. “Okay,” she said, “whatever you do, hang on tight and don’t look down!”

“I am not going anywhere until I get my present!” Robotnik yelled, but it was too late.The dragon had already smashed right through the walls again, and was now flying through the skies. “Next stop- Knothole Village!” she cried.

“Oh, you truely do bring me a present, kind spirit- the greatest Christmas gift I could ever possibly receive! You’re taking me to Knothole! Once I am there, I will finally be able to carry out my life-long dream of having it destroyed and capturing those other meddlesome Freedom Fighters- especially that Hedgehog!” Robotnik cried happily. “Oh, I feel so alive and fancy-free!” He was so happy that he began to sing: “I believe I can fly... I believe I can touch the sky...”

“Get real, egg-head!” Dulcy yelled. “I’m only taking you to Knothole to show you just what the present is like!”

“Is this supposed to be another dratted lesson, spirit?” Robotnik snapped. “And can’t you slow down? I’m getting air-sick!”

“Aw, don’t be a back-seat flyer!” the Spirit snapped, as they soared over-head the Great Forest. “We’re nearly there. Hang on, we’re coming in for a landing!” She swooped down, heading directly for a collection of trees.

“You fool! What are you doing, spirit?! We’re going to crash! Pull up, pull up! You’ll kill us both!” Robotnik screamed. “WHOAAA!”

CRASH! Robotnik tumbled right off of the dragon’s back. “Ohhh, my head,” he moaned, rubbing it. He got to his feet and looked around. “Is this Knothole?!”

“Yup... but don’t go getting any ideas; you’re sticking with me while you’re here!” the Spirit snapped. She wrapped her long tail around his waist and dragged him off to the Great Hall, where the traditional Christmas Feast was being held.

Robotnik peeked through the window. “So all the Freedom Fighters and citizens are sitting down to a nice turkey dinner, are they? My, but that smell might inviting! I believe I’ll join them!” He was about to crawl through the window, but the Spirit held him back. “Nice try, Robuttnik! Now look: See how happy they all are? They consider themselves to be all one big happy family... something you know little about! They all love one-another, and they’re all willing to fight for one-another! Heck, they’d be willing to even die for each other! They all loyally stick together as a team, through thick and thin- no matter what!” She pointed towards the young kitsune. “Tiny Tails over there has always wanted to become an official Freedom Fighter. But you know what? He’ll never be able to live out his life-long dream! The last time Sonic and Sally allowed him to go with them into the city on their mission- as a practice run, for his very first mission- he became badly affected by the deadly toxins polluting the city. Since he is so young, his immune system is weaker, rendering him more vulnerable to illness. I’m afraid Tails has inhaled much of your horrid toxins... too much... he has become very sick, as a result. And if these shadows remain unchanged, I see an empty chair where Tiny Tails once sat...”

Robotnik gasped, as he realized what the Spirit meant. “Then the child will-” Suddenly he was all alone. The Ghost of Christmas Present had suddenly vanished. “Wait! Don’t go! Come back!” he called. “I must know what will become of the poor lad!” But there came no answer...

Knothole was dark and quiet. Now there were no Christmas lights up, no merry-making going on. The air felt chilly... cold as death. Something just didn’t feel right in the atmosphere... Where was everybody?

Suddenly, a tall figure- whose face was hidden behind a dark cloak and hood- approached Robotnik. “Are you the Ghost of Christmas Future?” Robotnik asked, gulping, feeling a little afraid.

The Spirit spoke not a word, but instead nodded in response

“Please, spirit... tell me- what will happen to Tiny Tails?” Robotnik asked.

The mysterious Spirit pointed over towards the direction of a graveyard, where a funeral was being held. Gathered around the grave, the likeness of which bore “Here lies Tails... our youngest Freedom Fighter”, were all the Freedom Fighters and citizens of Knothole. Sally was weeping, and Sonic was silently comforting her. Everybody was very sad indeed. “I’m so sorry... there was nothing more I could do to cure him of the poisonous toxins which affected his system,” Dr. Quack, the local doctor, was sadly saying. ‘Twas a dark day in Knothole indeed...

“Oh, spirit... believe me, I never wanted this to happen,” Robotnik said sadly. He begged the Spirit, “Tell me these events can yet be changed.”

The next thing Robotnik knew, he was suddenly on the outskirts of Robotropolis. The Spirit pointed over to where another grave was just being dug- a single grave. The grave-diggers happened to be a couple of weasles. “Six feet under... literally. Good riddance, I say,” the first weasle said.

“Aye,” snickered the other fellow, flicking away his cigarette. “And ain’t it a downright pity, mate - no flowers, no prayers, no funeral, and no friends to bid him farewell!”

“Ah, well... he don’t need none, anyway... not where he’s goin’!” the first grave-digger smirked. Laughing, the weasles picked up their shovels and walked away.

Robotnik approached the deep pit and glanced down into it. “Spirit,” he said nervously, “whose lonely grave is this?”

The Spirit struck a match, lighting up the inscription on the tombstone: “Here lies Robotnik”!

DUN-DUN-DUNNN!

The figure cast his hood back to reveal the face of... King Acorn! “Why, yours, Julian!” he laughed, shoving him into the pit. “The most powerful one in the cemetery!!”

Robotnik plunged towards the fires below. “NOOO!! PLEASE, NO! I’LL CHANGE! I SWEAR, I’LL CHAAAANGE...” he screamed out.

Robotnik was lying on the floor of his own room, tangled up in a heap of sheets. It was morning. “It’s Christmas morning! The Spirits have given me another chance!” he cried joyfully, leaping to his feet.

He rushed over to his bedroom window. “You there! Boy!” he called down to Tiny Tails. “What day is this?”

“Duh... Christmas Day, Robuttnik!” Tails snapped.

“YES! And now, my lad, I must ask a favor of you- do you know that turkey in the window of the city market?”

“The one as big as me?” Tails asked.

“That’s the one! Here’s some money; hurry down and buy it for me, and have it delivered to Bunnie Rabbot’s house! I thought it would make the perfect dinner for her and my nephew’s upcoming wedding!” he called. “And here’s something for your troubles! Merry Christmas!” He tossed him another sack of money.

“Gee... thanks, Robotnik!” Tails said, feeling a little bewildered. “Uh, merry Christmas to you too, I guess!” Whoa, wait’ll I tell Sonic and everybody in Knothole about this! He hurried away in the direction of the market.

“Please, lad, call me Julian! And mind you, no telling who sent the turkey now; I want it to be a surprise!” Robotnik called after him. “Oh, and Tails? It’s wonderful to see you alive and well!”

“Uh... thanks!” Tails said, not quite sure what he meant by that last remark. Shrugging, he hurried off to market.

Just than, Julian noticed from his window Antoine and Rotor walking past, looking for spare parts they could use to build a de-roboticizer. He activated his turbo-boosters on the bottom of his feet, and landed right down in front of them. “Greetings, my fine fellows!”

Antoine yelped in terror, recalling their last encounter.

“Still interested in parts for a de-roboticizer? Well, here’s something better- I’ll give you my own de-roboticizer instead! Consider it my Christmas gift to you and to everyone else! I invented long ago, for some reason which I do not know; I’ve never even used it before. Anyway, it’s all yours! May you use it to free all the citizens of Mobius!”

Antoine fainted from shock. Rotor and Julian both laughed. “Merry Christmas, boys!” Julian said.

“Snively, my lad! There you are! I’ve been looking everywhere for you, nephew!” Julian said, spotting Snively heading down to Knothole in a horse-driven wagon.

“Sir? What are you doing here?” Snively gulped, looking a little nervous.

Julian ran over to the cart, grabbed his nephew, and embraced him in a hug. “First of all, nephew, I just wanted to apologize for the horrid way I’ve treated you over the years! Second of all, I just wanted to say that I’m coming to your wedding, and that I’m very happy for the both of you! Congratulations! I would’nt miss my own nephew’s wedding for the world! And last, I just wanted to say that I have seen the error of my horrible ways. I have freed King Acorn from the Void, and have re-joined his side. I want you, Snively, not as my assistant... but as my partner. Together, we shall serve the King and join the Freedom Fighters in their quest to restore Mobotropolis to it’s former state. What do you say, partner?”

Snively was shocked. “S-sir? Do you mean that?” he asked, wide-eyed.

“Please, my boy... call me “Julian”- or “Uncle Julian”, if you wish,” Julian smiled.

Snively smiled back. “Merry Christmas, Uncle.”

“Merry Christmas, nephew.”

“AAAARRGHHH!!” Robotnik awoke in his bed, horrified. That had all been a dream!

“That’s the absolute last time I ever watch another ridiculous Christmas special before going to bed!” he snapped. “Bah humbug!” He fell back asleep.

THE END!

Merry Christmas, friends and fans! Happy holidays from your good pal, Shychick! :)

This has been a Shychick Production!