Legal Stuff:

 

Sonic the Hedgehog and Miles 'Tails' Prower and all related characters belong to Sega, DIC and Archie Comics.  Jessica and Eddie are copyrighted to Stephen Zacharus.  Music and lyrics for 'Foxy Lady' are '1967 Jimi Hendrix, all rights reserved. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

___________________________

 

Stephen Zacharus

'FOXY LADY'

 

___________________________

 

 

 

 

You're looking at me that way.

 

You know.

 

That way.

 

To be completely honest with you, it terrifies me.  I've never been in any sort of serious relationship with any girl before, and' well, damn, here we are.  No more fooling around, no more fun and games.  We're no longer 'boyfriend and girlfriend' anymore, but' companions.

 

[Foxy, foxy.]

 

'Tails,' you say, looking into my eyes, 'I love the way you smile.'  That's the sort of thing a girl says to her guy long after their relationship has lost its innocence'and long, long after 'wanna go out?' or 'kiss me' or even 'I love you.'  Jessica, you're scaring me, honey.

 

We've just finished up the nice little candle-lit dinner that you and I had prepared together an hour or so earlier.  We'd gotten to talking and now we're' just'

 

[Foxy, foxy.]

[You've got to be all mine, all mine.]

[Ooh, foxy lady.]

 

I never knew that I could be so content simply watching somebody before.  You're watching me back.  It's almost like a game. 

 

And now my heart is racing you see because all of a sudden you're looking at me that way.

 

I laugh nervously and look away, and you grab my hand.

 

'What's wrong?' you ask.  The corners of your mouth have moved up just a bit'just barely a smirk.  You know exactly what I'm thinking.  I know exactly what you're thinking.

 

'Jess''  I look up at you, giggling like an idiot.  You don't seem to mind, though; at this stage in our relationship, we're no longer trying to impress each other because we already know each other.  We can act like fools all day and we just don't care.

 

You know exactly what I'm thinking.  I know exactly what you're thinking'

 

[Ooh, foxy lady, yeah, yeah.]

[You look so good.]

[Oh yeah.]

[Foxy']

 

Those driving, sacred words from so long ago are still echoing in my mind.

 

'Wanna go out?'

 

I said those words, remember?  We were at the mall.  Eddie and I were just bullshitting around together, but in all honesty I really would have rather been anywhere else.  I was still bitter about my breakup with Kate.  I guess moping around at home seemed more appealing to me at the time than shopping for music and sports crap with my best friend.

 

Eddie was a few paces ahead of me, so he didn't notice that I hadn't followed him into the record shop.  Across the hall I saw you and a couple of your friends shopping at a little cosmetic store.  You didn't look entirely thrilled to be there either.

 

[Now-a I see you come down on the scene.]

[Oh, foxy.]

[You make me want to get up and-a scream.]

 

I didn't really know you that well at the time, but we were in a few classes together and I thought maybe we could enjoy each other's company, if only for a few minutes.  I watched you leave your friends at the cosmetic store and take a seat at a distant bench.  I followed.

 

'Hey, Jessica.'

 

'Oh!  Hi, Tails.  How're you?'

 

'I'm okay,' I lied.  In truth, I was so close to tears over my recent breakup that it almost wasn't funny.  'Is this seat taken?'

 

'Oh' no, no, go right ahead.'

 

'Thanks.  I'm just waiting for Eddie in the record store over there.  I'm not really in the mood for shopping right now, actually.'

 

'I heard about you and Kate,' you admitted.  Up front with things.  I love that about you.  'I'm' really sorry.'

 

'Yeah,' I mumbled, looking away.  I really didn't want to touch on that issue.

 

'As it turns out, I' kinda know what you're going through.  Max and I broke up about a week ago.'

 

I blinked.  'You're kidding!  You and Max were together for, what, three years?'

 

'Something like that.'

 

'I'm sorry.'

 

'Well, it's okay.  That means we're both single again, right?'

 

Nervous laughter.

 

I couldn't believe we were having this conversation.

 

I won't lie.  I thought you were cute.  Real cute, in fact.  But' well, they say it's bad luck to go out with a girl who sparks a conversation with talk of bad relationships.

 

''

 

Okay, fine, I made that up.

 

The truth was that I was as nervous as all hell.  I had, however, decided that this was probably worth a shot.

 

[Foxy, oh baby listen now.]

[I've made up my mind.]

[I'm tired of wasting all my precious time.]

[You've got to be all mine, all mine.]

 

'You like movies?' I managed, albeit forcefully.  'There's probably something good playing at the theater''

 

And I popped the magic question.  You said 'sure,' and the rest is history, right?  As we snuck out of the mall without telling our friends, I gathered the nerve to put my arm around your waist.  What was more surprising, though, was that you had returned the favor.

 

[I wanna take you home, yeah.]

[I won't do you no harm.]

[You've got to be all mine, all mine.]

[Ooh, foxy lady.]

 

And then, two days later'in the back of the movie theater on our second date'came the next step.  It always happens on the second date, doesn't it?  Sure seems like it, anyway.  You snuggled up against my neck and whispered in my ear: 'kiss me.'

 

Weeks later, we were telling each other 'I love you' for the first time.

 

It's been two years since our first kiss, Jessica.  The way you're looking at me goes way beyond that.

 

I knew it was coming.  The breaking point.  Our Relationship: Part IV, as it were.

 

You say it at long last.

 

'Tails' let's go upstairs.'

 

Oh, damn.

 

My jaw drops.

 

You knew exactly what I was thinking.  I knew exactly what you were thinking.

 

But I mean' hold on, let's think about this for a minute.  We're both eighteen, right?  Mature, responsible adults.  Consenting adults.  This point in our relationship was going to come sooner or later; we both knew that.  I just want to make sure we're making the right decision here'

 

[Foxy, foxy.]

[You know you are a cute little heart breaker.]

 

'Tails,' you gasp.  I'm holding you now.  We're kissing now.

 

[Foxy, yeah.]

[And you know you are a sweet little lover maker.]

 

You're in my arms and we're going upstairs now.  I'm laying you on the bed and undressing you now.  We're drawing closer now.

 

I love you, Jessica.

 

No, wait, I already told you that, didn't I?

 

Aw, come here, you.

 

[Foxy.]